Monday, March 20, 2017

Every single detail

“I was 19 years old. I realized, Oh My God. There’s so much more to tennis than just practice in a cold hall somewhere in Switzerland. This is what tennis could be about,” he says reflecting on the match. “I realized, I want to be back on the court one day, I’d love to compete with these guys on a regular basis, I’d rather play on the bigger court than on the smaller courts… And all of a sudden it started to make sense. Why you’re doing weights. Why you’re running. Why you arrive early at a tournament. Why you try to sleep well at night. We just started to understand the importance of every single detail. Because it makes a difference.”
                                                                     
                                                                                  - Roger Federer


The G.O.A.T. gets it.

It's not just about tennis.  It's about all the things that get you to where you want to be.  

On Sunday, one of my teams had a make-up match from a rain out a few weeks ago.  Chris and I didn't eat too much during the day since he was planning to grill some burgers and make a dip for our usual Sunday night gathering.  I did eat a protein bar, but really, as we do on most weekends, we just didn't eat too much for some reason or another.  Along with not eating much, I had only had my usual morning coffee and one glass of water.

And I just nearly about died out there on the court yesterday.  I felt miserable afterwards when I did get home and cooled down.  The temps were up to 85º already here in Louisiana and with the sun blazing down, it was just utterly awful out there.  I chugged my way through my entire 54 oz water jug during the match and then refilled it as I left.  By then the damage was done.  I felt shitty the rest of the night.  Even though I ate, I just felt terrible and head-achy.  

So, a lesson was learned.  It is the little things that make a difference.  It's the drinking of the water.  It's the extra sun-screen that you need to apply.  It's the eating a proper meal and not half-assing your way through the day.


In other news, I started a new 5k training program this morning.  I ran/walked for 10 minutes, basically 1 minute walk, 1 minute run.  I'll do that once more on Wednesday and then alternate those for up to 20 minutes on Friday or Saturday.  I have a match Tuesday night and either Wednesday evening I'll go to round robin tennis or weights (or --- gasp! maybe both!).  Thursday, maybe elliptical or rest.  We'll see what I end up doing Wednesday.  All these with my usual 30 minute walks at work too.  

It feels good to be exercising again.  

And don't forget to drink your water, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. It is hard to remember that the little things add up like that. Awesome job on your 5K training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true!! I know that if I give my body crappy fuel I'll get crappy results. Do I always keep this in mind? No.

    ReplyDelete