Friday, May 12, 2017

Flying Pig 5K Race Recap

Our trip to Cincinnati has finally come to and end and it's been back to reality (and work) for the last 2 days.  I'm just now finally getting around to posting about our trip.  I figure that I'll do the actual trip part in another post and just recap the 5K itself here.

Packet Pick Up

We grabbed an uber to bring us downtown to the Duke Energy Expo Center.  It took only 5 minutes to get there since we were staying directly across the river in Covington, Kentucky.  This was my first huge expo and to say it was a bit overwhelming could be an understatement.  I was in big trouble.  So many shiny things! And vendors!  And bondi bands!  And shoes!  With Chris there reining me in was probably a good thing.  There was one slight necessity that we did go to specifically get.  A long sleeved shirt or a hoodie.  Because it was cold a.f. in Cincy.  The weather forecasters LIED.  We were told before we left that the weather would be in the lower 70s.  All indications now were saying upper 40s to low 50s for race time.  Needless to say I wasn't going to be wearing the tank top that I had originally planned to wear or the backup tech t-shirt, maybe as layers, but I digress.

Once I found a shirt that I did like (I ended up with a long sleeved tech shirt) we headed over to packet pick up.  I was also picking up for a friend who was driving in later that night but that went very smoothly for Chris and I both.  No problems at all.  The only thing that was a little weird for me was that the t-shirt pickup was all the way in the back of the exhibition all.  I get it though, they want you to buy all the things on the way to picking up your free shirt.  And well, their marketing strategy worked.

We went to meet friends at a pub and then headed back to the hotel for the evening.  I laid out our multitude of layers and then went to bed.



The Race

Here's a list of the names of the friends that we met up with:
Me - Desiree'
Chris - My husband
Anna - Blogs over at Losing My Puppy
Meg (running her first marathon on Sunday) - Blogs over at Running Just As Fast As You Can
Tiina - Blogs over at One Crazy Penguin
Mary - Blogs over at Runs To Get Waisted
Gary - Anna's husband
Brittany - Facebook friend and fellow Lovely Lady
Chris version 2 - Brittany's husband)

The morning of we hit a bit more traffic in our uber than the day before and it ended up taking about 15 minutes to get there.  Our driver dropped us off as close as he could to Paul Brown Stadium and then we walked over to where our corrals were near the Great American Ballpark.  It was there that we met up with Tiina for the first time!  Soonafter, Anna and Gary showed up followed by our other two lovely ladies, Mary and Meg.  (Mary, Meg and Gary were our cheering squad for this race).   Anna, Tiina and I were walking the race while Chris was running his very first official 5k race!  His goal was just to finish and to run the whole thing.


Lining up!

Our squad (center left)


I knew going into this that Anna was a very fast walker (she had hauled me around in January!) but I figured that Tiina, (who has an injury) maybe would counteract the swiftness?  Nope!

But honestly, it was a quick pace but it was also a comfortable one.  So it wasn't too bad, except for the hills.  In fact we talked so much the race course just flew by.  It was by far the best race experience that I have ever had at this time I didn't come in dead last either.  So that's a definite WIN!
Tiina, Anna and I


Chris texted me when we were between mile 2 and 3 that he was finished!  I looked at my watch and realized then that he not only finished in a great time that he crushed his goal.  Previously he only ran on the treadmill and his times were roughly around the 50 minute mark for his 5k runs.  He finished in 37.35!


Riding that high of having my hubby finish in such a great time, I was determined for us to cross 3.1 off under 60 minutes and since we were done with most of the hills, we were able to do just that!  My watch had the course at a bit longer than a typical 5K but we did in fact cross the Finish Swine under our goal!

Cheering from the baseball stadium









After The Race

Back to the expo! And we met up with another Lovely Lady, Brittany and her husband, Chris there as well.  We needed to pick up the packets for our marathoners and for more shopping.  This time I ended up with a t-shirt and a tank top (because we live in Louisiana and it would be a long while before I could wear my long sleeved shirt).  Chris was a good sport and didn't grumble too much about my purchases.  Oh, I got a wine glass too.  Because, wine glass.



And then our marathoners put in a request for waffles, so we headed to a restaurant called A Taste of Belgium.  The food was delicious so was the beer!  And unfortunately I was so busy talking and eating that I forgot to get a picture of mine.  But here's one of Chris's burger and his caption.


Then we walked everyone back to their hotel, and uber-ed it back to our hotel for a nice nap!   And it was glorious!  We all then made plans to head back to Mary and Meg's hotel room, get some pizzas and make signs for Meg and Gary's marathon the next morning!  We probably kept Meg up way too late (sorry!!!) but we had a complete blast just laughing and hanging out.  All in all it was a really wonderful race and a way to spend a Saturday.

Ended the day with a TON of steps too.


2 comments:

  1. First of all, I I just smiled knowing you were with good friends when all this went down!!!!

    Woo hooo!!! You girls rocked it!!!!! And Chris too!!!! He's a machine! (I loved his text of not ruling out the possibility of puking yet....I've felt that way once or twice while crossing a finish line!!!!!).

    Love your long sleeve shirt!!!!!!! I want to know though...did you Tiina and Anna coordinate the purple?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady! Yes, we actually all did coordinate for Meg's weekend! She wore a purple shirt in her race on Sunday too! :)

      Delete