Friday, June 30, 2017

Technology and weight training!

So Chris and I recently discovered something at Planet Fitness this week.  We kept noticing that all the machines had QR code scanners on each of them.  Lo and behold a little closer inspection on the machine had a website listed just under that code and on that website was a link to an app, LFConnect (Life Fitness is the brand of machines that this particular Planet Fitness uses).


Let me back up just a bit.  I have always bemoaned the fact that I never truly had a way to log all the weights that I was doing.  Sure MFP has a generic "strength" category under exercise but its nothing more than adding minutes and half the time I had no idea even what the names of these machines were that I was using.  Plus there was no way to put what I had these machines set at as far as seat and bar positions.  So I had to basically rely on memory with it which lead to me sitting at the machine and testing the weights and the seat height until it felt comfortable.  Fitbit is great, but all that counts is heart rate and calorie burn.  I was always wanting something to actually track and list out what weights I was using and recording the sets and reps.  

And now we have found this app.  It is super easy to use.  You basically open the app then click on the QR Scanner in the upper right hand corner.


From there, you just scan the machine that you are currently working on. 


Then from there, you can view a video of the machine and the proper workout from.  You also list your seat position and the bar position and that will record it.  And then you basically just do your sets.

After your sets are complete, you select the "Record Results" button (In the pic above).

 And then just add those totals in:


Viola, sets are recorded and the weight!  Then you can go and view a summary of what you did that day. 


Workout done!  Now I'm anxious to see if the YMCA has this as well.  They do have the Life Fitness machines, but I need to see if they have the QR codes also.


And then you get back to the car and eat all the cashews so that your wife doesn't get any.


8 comments:

  1. Yay!!!!! That I should an awesome find!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool!! My YMCA has the activtrax tracking tool that tells you what machines to do that day and your recommended weights, and logs it if you check in afterwards. Very nice setup! I miss getting to that part of my gym routine, sadly I haven't used it much this year at all :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, My Y has that to but I'm anxious to find out if they have the QR scanners as well. That will be easier for me to do rather than stand in line at the activetrax machine and key those numbers in.

      Delete
  3. Wow! This is pretty cool - I will have to check out gym. Not cool to not share the cashews though...cashews are my favorite nut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them too. He said he "forgot to eat lunch" and that was why he ate the whole bag. HRMPH!

      Delete
  4. Very neat. As you know, I'm all about the tracking LOL.

    ReplyDelete